Monday 2 November 2009

EASYRIDER. Goup show. Newcastle


EASYRIDER, 29th October, Hangar 51, Newcastle upon Tyne

The first test of a graduate artist is if they are going to carry on with art after uni. Tom and I decided to leap into our next show, EASYRIDER. The original plan was to show with Lindsay Best and get a shop in the city centre. However the circumstances changed so we decided to return to Hangar, one more time...

The result was EASYRIDER a 1 hour performance involving: an 8 piece motorbike gang, a car we smashed up, and a film I made and Tom's Riot Police film.

Neither of us had managed to get the papers or even local culture mags like The Crack. To our dismay it was Front page of the Sunday Sun, nationwide Metro, Auto Trader Magazine, FORUM Magazine, covered through the week in The Chronicle and Journal. All of this publicity had positive sides; sales and attention but these benefits were far outweighed by the downsides!

Press links: Metro, Sunday Sun 1 and 2, AutoTrader

The video of the show is below:



My artwork in the show:

My print artworks in the show were based on a visit I paid to a militaria store with my imac and my scanner, I scanned half his store; guns, belts, helmets, anything. It took me a long time to settle on a final style but the three 200x40cm banners were as meaningless as I could ever have hoped. Guns 1, Guns 2, and God 1 - which was based on scans of notes I'd taken whilst discussing post modernism with a vicar. What I like about them the most is that you don't get any sign of the process from just looking at them, and I doubt people would remember them now.




No comments:

Post a Comment